A popular breakfast dish of Tamilnadu. I am addicted to the taste of this pongal which was given as prasadams in many Perumal Temples during the month of Margazhi. Its divine to have his Hot, with an apt accompaniment, say, Ghotsu or Gojju. I tried many combination and finally got a successful outcome which tastes just like 'kovil pongal'. Hence I share with you all....
Raw ponni rice- 1cup
Moong dal or Payatham paruppu- 1 fist full
Hing- a pinch
Peppercorns- 1 spoon
Jeera or Cumin- 2 tbsp
How to make:
1) Wash rice and dal together.
2) Crush little bit of pepper and cumins coarsely.
3) Add 3 cups of water to 1 cup of rice and dal together.
4) In that, add ground powder, hing salt
5) Pressure cook for an extra time than cooking the rice.
6) After its done, mash well.
7) Heat ghee in a pan, fry cahews till golden brown and add the remaining pepper, cumin seeds.
8) Add curry leaves and mix well.
Tasty, Hot, lip smacking Pongal is ready for breakfast !!