I tried this Brinjal Thogaiyal which my grandma used to do with Vathakuzhambu, any of the type. Its a wonderful accompaniment with any spicy kuzhambu varieties.
1 big size Brinjal
Urad Dal- 3tbsp
Asafoetida- 1small piece
Coconut scrapes- 1 tspn
Sesame Oil- 1tbspn
Salt- to taste
How to make:
1) Wash the brinjal and char burn it on the gas top.
2) When the brinjal is burnt completely, remove from the flame and allow it to cool.
3) Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan and fry urad dal, chillies, asafoetida and coconut scrapes.
4) After the brinjal becomes cool, peel of the burnt skin and the inner seeds by scraping out with a spoon.
5) Then grind all the ingredients and add salt to taste.
6) Temper with Mustard and urad dal if preferred.