I had been a great fan of Paruppu podi all times. I generally used to buy from the famous store 'Ambika Appalam Depot'whenever i go to chennai. This time i was running out of stock and tried to get here locally and failed. I browsed through the net and found from various websites the 'secret ingredients' of it. Here i present it with slight modifications.
Pottu Kadalai (Dhalia)- 1/2 cup
Kadalai Paruppu (Channa Dal)- 1cup
Red chillies- 5nos.
How to make:
1) Heat ghee in a pan and roast kadalai paruppu and pottukadalai, one after the other in a low flame.
2) Add red chillies to it and roast.
3) Let it cool for sometime and grind it powder.
4) If u like, temper it with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
5) Optional- may also add garlic after roasting with other ingredients.