1. 10 small sized round brinjals
2. 1/2 onion chopped into small pieces
3. 1/2 cup tamarind pulp
4. seasonings, curry leaves, mustard, ural dal, methi seeds, asfoetida a pinch
5. 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
6. salt to taste
7. 2 tsp oil
1. 3/4 red onion or about 15 small onions
2. 2tbsp coconut shredds
3. 2 tbsp corriander seeds
4. 1/2 tbsp cumin seeds
5. 4 red chillies
6. 1/2 tsp pepper
dry roast 2-5 set aside and saute the onions in a little bit of oil and make a smooth paste.
How to make:
1. In a pan heat the oil add the seasonings, adding the mustard last and when the mustard starts to splutter
2. Add the onions and saute a little bit
3. Add the cut brinjals and fry them till the skin starts to turn brown. An another name for this dish is Ennai Kathrikkai so the amount of oil added depends on taste.
4. Add the turmeric powder
5. Add the ground mixture and tamarind juice, close the lid and cook in medium heat till the brinjals are fully cooked.
6. Add the salt, mix well and turn the heat off in 2-3 minutes.