Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Brinjal chops (gravy)
This side dish is for Non-veg Briyani, a traditional recipe of muslims. I had tasted this in few occasions during my friends wedding and get 'o' gethers. I got the recipe from one of my friend's mother and had tried many times which came out tasty with exact flavour. This is good with veg briyani, tomato rice and also with plain rice.
Brinjal (Violet color) - 250gms
Tamarind pulp - 1 cup
Redchilli powder - 1 spoon
Onions - 1, chopped finely
Tomato - 1 big size
Venthayam - 1tspn
Jeera - 1tspn
Black pepper - 1tspn
Black Sesame - 1tspn
Roasted Groundnut - 1 tbspn
Sesame oil (preferably adds taste and aroma)
Dry roast venthayam, Black sesame, Groundnut and powder coarsely and keep aside.
How to make:
1) In a pan add 1tbspn of sesame oil, after it gets heated, add jeera and black pepper.
2) To it add chopped onions, tomato and saute till it become soft.
3) Then add cut brinjals and saute well.
4) Pour the tamarind pulp, add chilli powder and salt.
5) Bring it to boil, during this add 3 tbspn of sesame oil.
6) Add the powdered ingredient to the boiling gravy and mix well to avoid lumps.
7) Add curry leaves and boil till the oil utilised comes seperately from the gravy.